Doodling with Words Followers

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sometimes I forget to release the Pause button


written by
Jeannette Zink

January 17, 2016


It is the season of winter… my mood now synchronized with the pause button on any electronic device … life set to hibernate (pause) until the first sighting of spring.  The image of tea leaves settled at the bottom of my cup, as if huddled in a state of hiatus; patiently wait for the bitter fingers of freezing cold to perform their burlesque cabaret -- tossing gloves of warmth to the cheers of a more temperate agreeable climate.  Just to get through the first three months of a new year is the goal… that’s how to survive … just to get through.

The only problem with this lifeboat survival tactic for the dreadful days following the winter solstice is that surprisingly “life is happening” during this same time slot.  There are things to do, places to go, and goals to be achieved within contracted expectations.  One cannot require life to pause.  Life itself perpetually moves forward in an upright tray position … whether we hibernate or not; whether we want to move forward or not … life is in motion.

What to do with this dilemma … living vs. hibernating … is one for the mystics, literary essayists and the Bible to address.  In my state of lethargy, I turn to one of my favorite English essayist, James Allen, and to one of my favorite books in the Bible, Book of Proverbs, to find the antonymic wisdom in this season of my freezing discontent. 

The title of James Allen’s 1903 essay, As a Man Thinketh, was influenced by the biblical Book of Proverbs, chapter 23, verse 7 (King James):  “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.”  Mr. Allen’s literary application of this verse was one man’s attempt to help all mankind to pull the strings of cerebral thought to a higher level of understanding and bring … perhaps, kicking and screaming … to a place of tolerance and insight for the possibilities that may challenge our winter melancholy of thought.  Might there be a better response than my personal favorite: “No, I cannot take this.  I am going to my warm and safe state of hibernation.  This too shall pass.  See you in the spring.” Could the key to our circumstances be endured beyond our sense of suspended reality simply by forming “thoughts” that transform us, as if our winter solstice magician waved their wand of mercy, to a more positive place of receptive gratitude for this special moment in the four season cycle? 

I, for one, will gladly cast my vote to give Mr. Allen and the biblical verse a try.  As I type this essay, I find myself shivering and dreading going outdoors.  The sunshine-filled sky has now been brushed with the paint of overcast gray tones.  The trumpets sound the imminent arrival of the royals – Queen of Snow and King of Ice.  With this dismal imaginary, I hold tight my hot cup of cocoa and nibble on the Proustian madeleine  cookie in hope that the Remembrance of Things Past will metaphorically spring forth, my winter of spring-like content.  A time when a weary cold night is greeted by the friendly local meteorologist’s forecast for a prolonged and gradual warming trend.    

Thus, with the determination of an Allen-ish decree, I embrace the weeding of my mental winter garden.  The weeds of misery and woe replaced with a sunnier disposition clothed in woolen comfort and toasted by the aroma of hot apple cider.  I hug tight the philosophy that each day will somehow progress at the pace of each ticking second no matter how grumpy my attitude toward the day.  Why, I ask the winter gods, do I covet despair when delight is just as easily an open market commodity all the ready for acquisition?  Good question, one can almost hear the gardener voice with the struggle to unearth each useless mental weed.  The seeds of good and fruitful thought are far more pleasing and productive to the betterment of all things great than one second of wintry glum.  So, why wait to release the pause button on life?  The universe is moving on, with or without us, and it can be a beautiful ride, if we just let it happen. 

Thus, the gardener’s rake and shovel, tools for eradicating the undesirable twigs, prepare the landscape of beauty rendered seed by seed.  These are also my tools, my support group, for a proverbial winter clearance.  The mother of all winter sales … all bad moods are up for grabs … all must go … the great clear out … making space for the wonders that surely lie in wait to salute each fresh New Year. 

Please do not waste one second hibernating under the guise of winter doldrums.  Life is worthy of more than the effortless wish to just get through so to harvest the warmer days of spring.  Each day is a gift and deserves our utmost attention. 

My kindred spirits … please don’t forget to release the pause button on your life … life is happening, now.  Hop on the winter sleigh ride … it just might be fun… regardless the thermostatic setting.

Blessings to all and try to keep a warm heart and have faith … spring will be here soon!  Until then, enjoy each glorious day.




You may enjoy visiting my blogs:


No comments:

Post a Comment