Doodling with Words Followers

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Hide and Seek … Seek and Find … or something like that

written by
Jeannette Zink



I have searched high and low for something … that something I’m not even sure of; but, that does not impede my search for this treasured something, which makes for an even greater challenge for that which I seek. After reading this opening sentence, it takes me back to my studies of the great literary salon of Gertrude Stein and the 1920s Paris … Rose is a rose is a rose. 

Nonetheless, this search of mine must continue until finding the very thing I’m in search of; and, that which will most definitely and completely brim with satisfaction upon the something’s great discovery. This prized token, hidden just around the fringes of the age old game – Hide and Seek, cloaked in mysterious riddles and annoying rhymes, will make its appearance in due time – or so believe the precious of innocent mind.

Perhaps, I will stumble upon this allusive something as I peel back the corners of each maybe this or casually remember a maybe that in the musty old forgotten archives of yesterday’s memories.  If only to stay the course, no meandering here and there, I tell myself, and you will find that which you seek.  Right, that is the thing to do … stay the course.  Don’t think so much; just let things happen, just let that thing you pursue reveal itself … that will be the something you were chasing after, but were never formerly introduced.

Seeking has magical powers. It never has a need to map out an itinerary for the adventure and discovery awaiting each undisclosed journey. And should you inquire of such a schedule, please be prepared for a most unpleasant exchange between reason and whimsy.  I know this for a fact, as I once packed logic in my bag for one such excursion, and soon learned the high price charged for the extra weight of this rational reason of reason. Whimsy is so much lighter and travels for free, not to mention all the laughs and light-hearted fun. Seeking with whimsy is my new found travel buddy -- together we search for the thing I do not known for that which I seek … that something.

I heard Pope Francis say one Christmas Eve Mass to not seek God, let God find you.  Stopped me in my midnight daze and caused my mind to start blinking neon lights of enlightenment. Then I started to think about other familiar analogies … love finds you when you least expect it, a child conceived just when you had given up all hope and opted for adoption, finding a missing object after years of searching (seeking) … you may have your own gems to add to this lot.

It was also about this time when it occurred to me that the merciless search for the worrisome something may be my quest to find the missing brick-and-mortar of my life, the bits and pieces that were tossed aside over time for the sake of a career. Yes, my life is good, but there is definitely room for improvement … for instance, where did I drop off my soul and spirit in exchange for success? Could this be my problem? I am the one doing the seeking; I am the one carry the load; I am trying to lead this search party.  Maybe I am the problem!  It’s not an “I” kind of job this seeking and finding business.
 
As this Proustian remembrance creeps back into my mind, as if the missing clue in a Hide and Seek game, I begin to wave a mental “aha” flag of discovery.  This restlessness of mine, always seeking the mighty something, may have finally washed onto the calm shores of a cool breezy revelation. The arid unquenchable thirst for that something may have finally met its match, and now I rejoice in the relaxed arms of content while making room for this weary seeker to be found.

During the lull between now and until then, I play with the whimsy of this lifetime game of Hide and Seek and cast my energy around the unexpected joy of each new discovery.  Just maybe I will find the very something never intended, but were destined to be found all along. Probably the reason I could never really appreciate my seeker’s kaleidoscope of poetic somethings … the seeker must first learn it is far more rewarding to have been found. As for that unquenchable search for the undefined something, I wonder how that thirst got there in the first place … maybe, a bit of whimsy or perhaps the power of our Finder.

Peaceful journeys, my kindred spirits … travel with the lightness of whimsy, the heart of a seeker and the wisdom to provide room for the grace of our Finder … and that is something wondrous!

The Lord says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.”  
Jeremiah 6:16 (NIV)


You may enjoy visiting my blogs:




No comments:

Post a Comment