Doodling with Words Followers

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Zigzag Dot Pattern

written by
Jeannette Zink

When I was between my freshman and sophomore year in college, I struggled to declare a major. My freshman counselor offered little support with my dilemma and the inspiration switch of my mental light bulb had not flipped on, yet. So, I sat on the floor of my bedroom and started to leaf through our family’s set of door-to-door salesman Encyclopedia Britannica. It was the late 60’s and there was no Internet or Google to lean on … just the hard cover weighty books arranged in alpha order and housed in our hallway makeshift library.

It was by sheer accident that I stumbled upon the topics of fashion coordinator, fashion illustrator, and fashion designer. The light bulb was beginning to blink … that’s it!!! I will be a fashion illustrator and designer. I love art; I love fashion; and design is like the perfect icing on this career choice major. That’s It … case closed … decision made … course set … I now had a path to follow and a purpose for the costly expense of a college education. The dots were now connected! Or were they … 

Fast forward to the summer of my junior year when my parents suggested I apply for financial assistance after reading an article in the newspaper. I completed the necessary forms and was awarded Federal Work Study. The job that I ultimately secured was in the campus Personnel Office assisting the Work Study Coordinator. I LOVED my job of helping other Work Study students find a job. It was in helping others that I truly did feel that spark of passion for my intended purpose. Just one problem … I was too far along in my declared major to switch gears and pursue a program in personnel administration. My well-planned dots were beginning to disconnect by the snippets of my newly discovered passion.

Fortunately, as the saying goes, where there is a will there is a way – my beloved Work Study Coordinator took me under her wing and navigated a course that would forever change my life. I graduated at mid-term and there was no option but to find a job. There was indeed a job in the campus’ Office of Student Financial Assistance. Scholarship Clerk paying a whopping $1.97 per hour. “Why not apply … it will do until something better comes along,” reasoned my Work Study Coordinator. I did apply and was selected for the job. Just a job until something better comes along … I can still hear those words echoing in my mind after recently completing a 45-year career in the field of federal student financial assistance.

I was fortunate to pursue this career path through several different landscapes. However, no matter the vista, it always fueled my unwavering desire to help others -- just as I had been helped back in the dark ages of typewriters, mimeograph machines and hard covered books.

The beauty of connecting dots -- the pattern does not have to be a straight-line design. In fact, a zigzag pattern renders an interesting design much as the rhythm of a passionate heart when pursuing the intended purpose of one’s life.
   
Speaking of the zigzag dot plotter … I never forfeited my love of the arts through the years. The passion for helping others was always woven with hints of a paint brush casting a glow of possibilities for those pursuing and supporting the dream of a higher education.

Funny how the dots in our lives find a way to connect if we stay open to interesting patterns.


No comments:

Post a Comment